- Our lab featured in the Globe & Mail - November 3, 2013
Research from our lab was featured in the Globe & Mail Focus section on October 26th: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/science/the-root-of-the-problem-this-is-your-brain-on-math/article15081244/?page=all
- August 29th- Three students in the Numerical Cognition successfully defend their PhD's - September 8, 2013
We have had an examination filled summer in the lab. Nadia Nosworthy, Stephan Vogel and Christian Battista have all successfully defended their PhD’s this summer. Congratulations to Drs. Nosworthy, Vogel and Battista!!!
Nadia has already started a junior faculty position in the Department of Graduate Psychology & Counselling at Andrews University in Michigan. Stephan is now working at the post-doctoral fellow at the University of Goettingen in Roland Grabner’s research group and Christian is heading to Stanford to work as a post-doctoral fellow in Vinod Menon’s group. We wish them a great start in their new positions and lots of success!
- July 10th- Stephanie Bugden wins award - September 8, 2013
It has been announced that Stephanie Bugden has won the 2013 Dr Benjamin Goldberg Research Award from the Developmental Disabilities Division at Western University. This award will support Stephanie’s PhD work on Developmental Dyscalculia. Congratulations Stephanie!
- Stephan Vogel wins Award! - May 2, 2013
Stephan has won the Department of Psychology’s G. Keith Humphrey Memorial Award. The description of the award is as follows: “This award is for the graduate student in Psychology or Neuroscience who best exemplifies the philosophy and spirit of Professor Humphrey and his research. Keith was a brilliant young scholar who admired true intellectual curiosity and possessed a love of visual science. This Award is chosen annually by the Graduate Selection Committee in the
Department of Psychology.”
- Daniel Ansari on podcast! - May 2, 2013
Daniel Ansari participated in the ‘Neuroscientists Talk Shop’ podcast with faculty members of the University of Texas at San Antonio’s Neurobiology Program. You can listen to the conversation here:
- Study from the Numerical Cognition Laboratory reveals new link between basic math skills and PSAT math success - January 16, 2013
- Ian Lyons portrayed in the Western News - November 27, 2012
- Anna wins best thesis award! - November 6, 2012
Anna Matejko who defended her MSc thesis in August has bee awarded the Leola E. Neal Memorial Award. The Leola E. Neal Award is given each fall by the Western Psychology Graduate Program for the most outstanding Master’s thesis in any of the following subject areas: clinical, developmental, education, industrial/organizational, measurement, personality, or social psychology. Congratulations Anna!
- Daniel Ansari's Canada Research Chair - October 17, 2012
Daniel Ansari’s Canada Research Chair in Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience has been renewed for another 5 years: http://communications.uwo.ca/western_news/stories/2012/October/two_new_crcs_named_eight_renewed.html
- Welcome back Ian Lyons! - October 17, 2012
Dr. Ian Lyons has rejoined the Numerical Cognition Laboratory. He originally joined the lab in 2005 when it was located at Dartmouth as a Research Associate. He then went onto complete his PhD at the University of Chicago in Dr. Sian Beilock’s lab. He has now returned as a Postdoctoral Fellow!
- Ian Holloway receives PhD! - August 16, 2012
Ian Holloway successfully defended his PhD thesis in August 2012 – Many congratulations Ian!!
- Gavin Price takes up faculty position at Vanderbilt University! - August 16, 2012
Gavin Price has left the Numerical Cognition Laboratory after a very productive 3-year post-doc to start a tenure-track position as Assistant Professor in Educational Neuroscience in the Department of Human Development and Psychology at Peabody College, Vanderbilt University. We congratulate Professor Price on his new position and wish him the best of luck!
- Anna Matejko wins Award - July 25, 2012
Anna Matejko wins 2012 Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship. Congratulations Anna!! See news item at: http://communications.uwo.ca/western_news/stories/2012/July/western_boasts_eight_vanier_winners.html
- Research Grant for iPad study - May 11, 2012
Anna Matejko and Daniel Ansari receive an internal research grant from the Children’s Health Research Institute (CHRI) to run Ipad number training studies with preschoolers!
- Celia Goffin wins Award - May 11, 2012
Celia Goffin wins the 2012 McClelland Award for the best 4th year undergraduate thesis in Psychology at Western! Celia’s thesis was co-supervised by Stephan Vogel and Daniel Ansari. Congratulations Celia!
- Grant renewal - April 1, 2012
Our NSERC Discovery Operating Grant has been renewed for another 5 years!
- Stephanie Bugden wins Award - February 28, 2012
Graduate Student Stephanie Bugden has won the 2011 McClelland Award in Psychology. This is an internal award for outstanding graduate
students in either the Western Graduate Program in Developmental or
Clinical Psychology. Congratulations Stephanie!
- Nadia Nosworthy wins Award - September 8, 2011
Graduate student Nadia Nosworthy wins Ontario Government’s Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology.
- Daniel Ansari profiled for Science Careers - August 22, 2011
- Education For All Blog - June 24, 2011
- Education Week & Washington Post - May 18, 2011
- Members of the Lab win Award - May 10, 2011
Stephanie Bugden, Anna Matejko and Stephan Vogel win Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- Christian Batttista wins Award - March 24, 2011
Congratulations to PhD Student Christian Battista for being awarded a National Sciences and Research Council’s (NSERC) Doctoral (PGS-D) scholarship!
- BR-online - March 24, 2011
- The Globe and Mail - January 15, 2011
- - January 12, 2011
- Daniel Ansari has been elected as a Member of the Board of Directors of the “International, Mind, Brain and Education Society” (IMBES).
- Gavin Price wins Award - December 20, 2010
Postdoctoral Fellow Gavin Price has been selected as the recipient of the 2010-2011 C Kingsley Allison Research Award from the Developmental Disabilities Division of the University of Western Ontario.
This award will support, Dr Price’s research project entitled: “Understanding Developmental Dyscalculia : The Neural Correlates of Calculation Learning”.
- Newsweek - July 10, 2010
- Ian wins Award - November 2, 2009
Graduate Student Ian Holloway has won the 2009 McClelland Award in Psychology. This is an internal award for outstanding graduate students in either the Graduate Program in Developmental or Clinical Psychology. Congratulations Ian!
- Parents Canada - October 4, 2009
- The New Yorker - August 31, 2009
- New Special Interest Group: Education and Neuroscience - June 5, 2009
Daniel Ansari & Bert De Smedt have founded a new Special Interest Group of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction: SIG 22: Education and Neuroscience. See the website for more information:
- Gavin wins fellowship - June 1, 2009
Post-doctoral fellow Gavin Price, PhD wins Post-doctoral fellowship from the Ontario Ministry of Research and Innovation: Congratulations Gavin!
- Western News - April 30, 2009
- Western News - March 12, 2009
- Harvard Gazette Online - February 5, 2009
- New Scientist - January 24, 2009
- Science News - November 29, 2008
- Globe and Mail - September 30, 2008
- Science Daily - September 26, 2008
- Focus Online - September 25, 2008
- Western News - July 25, 2008
- Western News - May 24, 2007
- Nature - June 30, 2005